Underwriter – Minneapolis, MN.
Distinguished Programs is a leading Property & Casualty insurance program manager specializing in real estate, community associations, cultural institutions, hospitality & restaurants. ProHost USA, A Division of Distinguished Programs, is a program administrator specializing in property/casualty insurance products for restaurants. This position is responsible for underwriting, pricing and processing accounts in accordance with established underwriting standards, service standards, program guidelines and personal underwriting authority. This includes gathering necessary information from retail brokers, making appropriate risk selection decisions on new and renewal business, preparing & delivering proposals and soliciting feedback/expectations from retail brokers.
Major areas of responsibility:
Account Underwriting & Servicing
- Reviews submissions for new and renewal business and make appropriate underwriting decisions consistent with established guidelines and goals.
- Identify account rounding opportunities four months in advance of the renewal date.
- Creates quality referrals on accounts that exceed personal underwriting authority.
- Respond to routine inquiries.
- Manage and track ongoing service requests from broker including endorsements, requests for policy information, certificates of insurance and other data.
- Maintain electronic files on each account in accordance with established guidelines.
- Monitor designated reports to ensure adherence to company quality & service standards
- Complete file audits.
- Meets all file documentation standards, complies with underwriting and authority level standards, and passes all audits (both internal and external).
- Responsible for assisting in regular and periodic underwriting audits.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of program forms and endorsements, and program rating methodology.
- Identify new contacts within existing retail brokerages and strategize with sales team to solicit business and develop relationships.
- Build and maintain effective professional/personal relationships with brokers.
- Collect and report competitive data to assist in development and execution of our strategies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of insurance coverage and contracts; ability to analyze forms and coverages
- Working knowledge of market underwriting standards and procedures.
- Demonstrated aptitude for computer based work management; ability to achieve expert skills in agency system software.
- Ability to anticipate and solve problems creatively.
- Demonstrates excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrates ability to prioritize amongst various immediate needs.
- Is detail-oriented.
- Demonstrates mathematical aptitude.
- Communication - Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Relationship Management - Ability to develop working relationships with both internal and external customers. High level of interpersonal skills to deal effectively with retail brokers, carrier representatives, and co-workers.
- Flexibility - Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Handles routine office work. Job requires data entry and carrying a laptop computer.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of phone systems and basic office machinery and equipment; Microsoft Office, policy rating systems generally and other agency systems as necessary.
- 2 years of post-high school education or equivalent training.
- 2 or more years of commercial lines package underwriting experience.
- 3 to 5 years progressive property & casualty experience within the insurance industry.
- A valid Agent’s or Broker’s License per state requirements.
Full Medical benefits, 401k plan with 4% match, PTO Plan, Wellness Programs and more!
Note: This job description is not intended to be all inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as required to meet ongoing needs of the organization.